Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Easter (on the) Island

The rest of the Grieses in Singapore Saga-

Not only did we get to celebrate my Mom's birthday in Singapore, we also got to celebrate Easter!
We flew back to Singapore for Jogjakarta early Sunday morning, arriving midday. We taxied home, unpacked, napped, and futzed about on computers (I discovered the further loss of keyboard life on my MacBook - nooooo!).

We then got dressed up and went to an Anglican church that's not too far from us. It just wouldn't feel like Easter without church! I think it felt weird to all of us three trumpet players to neither be playing nor hearing trumpets on Easter Sunday, but we managed. The service turned out to be a contemporary one, but we did get in one good Easter hymn at the end. The church itself is a beautiful building, left from when the English had a garrison in the area.

We went on to celebrate Easter with Mexican food! What - you can't get much more Catholic than Mexico!! Such a treat - and the margs were pretty tasty. Jacob got a beer served with a jalapeno and a chili-salt rim, which made him pretty happy. But we weren't done yet! On the way home, we stopped to pick up some fruit, and proceeded to create a chocolate fondue feast! And what Easter is complete without a Peep or two? We didn't have an Easter egg hunt, but we had some wine, so same-same!
Weirdo.



Now THAT'S an Easter Feast
And yes, Jacob and my dad are dressed alike.

The hybrid species achieved when chocolate bunnies and rabbit peeps mate!


Parkview Square - crazy art deco building in
Kampung Glam.
On Monday, Jacob & I headed back to work, leaving my parents to pack up. Then Jacob met them and they went to the National Museum, which sounded pretty sweet! I think my parents particularly liked the exhibit on hawker food - I really need to go check it out! Jacob had more teaching to do in the evening, so we made the parent hand-off after I finished work, and my folks and I checked out Kampung Glam, also known as Arab Street. The several blocks of Kampung Glam are host to Singapore's largest Mosque as well as dozens of fabric shops, Persian rug stores, Middle Eastern restaurants and hookah cafes. It's a really great area, and definitely one of the first places we recommend checking out if you're in Singapore for a day or two. 
Masjid Sultan, the largest
Mosque in Singapore

We made our way to BluJaz cafe, where Jacob would be playing with a group called Omniform later in the evening. Settling into some very comfy couch-chairs, I had the wonderful privilege of getting to just chat with my parents over some wine and food for a few hours. There were many highlights of our trip, and for me this was definitely one of them. Since graduating from college in 2009, I haven't spent more than about 6 months living in the same state as the rest of my family, so I really treasure the time we had together.



Jacob swung in for a bit to eat with us before joining the band and rocking out. We stayed for the first set, polished off the remaining wine and then headed back to Clementi - my parents had another early morning coming up with a 7:00am flight (and a 5am taxi).

While their visit seemed to go fast, I'm amazed at all we got to do - but not surprised by what a good time we had. I knew that'd be the case.

Thanks for coming Mom & Dad!



AND if this sounded fun to you - COME VISIT US!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment